Saturday, May 25, 2013

Mamacita


Mama Crane, asleep sitting up, on my couch, with newborn Rowan...A few days after throwing a wedding, a week after cleaning, preparing, and transforming a totally annihilated house into something livable, and three weeks before her own dear mother passed away, who taught her how to serve and how to work as she does.


Today is my angel mother's birthday.  She's 35.  She may not totally appreciate the picture I chose to share of her, but I searched my files high and low to find it because it so wonderfully captures who my mother is.

That baby in her arms is mine.  See, when most new parents nearly die from exhaustion within the first weeks because their new baby is set on sleeping all day and partying all night, I have not.  When I had Lily, my mom came and slept on the floor right next to Lily's crib. When I had Rowan she slept in our living room on a couch with jaundicey Rowan wiggling and fussing in his bili bed. I say she "slept", but that is not very accurate.  When I have babies, my mother stays up with them all night long, rocking and swaddling and teaching them that night is when we sleep.  She lets me and Darin sleep in another room and only wakes me to feed the baby.  The following day, she is up when we are up (or earlier!), making meals and running errands and cleaning and entertaining a toddler, as if she had a full night's rest. Then at night, she does it again.  This continues for as long as she stays with us.  She makes us gourmet meals.  She grocery shops and buys us deliciousness we wish we could keep in our pantry on a regular basis. She makes sure my toddler has an easy and loving transition into sisterhood and has special one-on-one time with her. She holds my hand when nursing Rowan hurts so bad I cry.   She gives me confidence in my abilities as a mother, especially when I feel overwhelmed. As she stares at them, I know she is as in love with my babies very nearly as much as I am.  And when she leaves, she cries.

She is fun and she is funny. She runs a family on tradition, hard work, laughter, and kindness.  She is selfless and she is so, so brave. She serves without hesitation, and never expects recognition.  She loves the Lord, she loves her husband, and she loves her family. She does what is right for the right reasons.  She is a learner.  She is a teacher.  She is humble and she is hopeful. She seeks for light.

 And man, do I love her!

Happy birthday to the best (no, really) mom ever!

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. Happy birthday to an amazing woman. What a wonderful example! The way you described her reminds me so much of my own mommy:). I just hope I can live up to the legacy she is leaving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a sweet post, I hope she got to read it! If not, you should print it out in a card for her :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors